Tuesday, September 9, 2008

I've seen better days.

I wasn't going to write today because I don't have much to say at all except for some complaints about things gone wrong. But, I also didn't feel like writing by hand in my journal and yet felt guilty for not writing a journal entry. So, I hope you don't feel obligated to read my day to day mundane entries, because this will be one. My companion was in Provo for the day getting her elbow checked out so I taught the first part of the workshop by myself. It wasn't quite as bad as I expected it to be, it will be a lot better though when I have a companion to help team teach and when I have more practice speaking. At least I'm communicating clearly.
I had the hardest time staying awake during training today. Although during break Andrew jokingly asked if we could get out 20 minutes early for lunch if he made a basket backwards. I immediately said, "oh, I'll do it too". And proceeded to the free throw line and made the shot backwards. Mike, one of our trainers said he hadn't made the deal with me but with Andrew, I said "fine but if I make it again the deal's with me". So I swished it backwards. And we got out early for lunch. Little did he know I had spent an entire Summer when I was 11 years old learning how to do that very thing. I love when random skills like that come in handy.
After training, the interns and trainers were taken out to dinner to an Italian restaurant in SLC called Buca de Beppo. Very expensive free food for us while sitting around a huge round table with a torso statue of the pope in a glass box as a centerpiece. It was the room of the pope and therefore had photos of popes throughout history, and it had a domed ceiling so the acoustics were a fun toy throughout the night. I ate far more than my share and came to really really like my fellow interns. Too bad we're not all serving together.
I woke up this morning and in the middle of saying my prayer I was struck with inspiration. I figured out a way to bypass this laptop not reading my camera. It involves using my companion's computer to copy the photos onto my jump drive but it will work out fine. So that stress is more or less resolved. But, I have recently been informed that I will lose my hefty non-BYU scholarship if I do not add another class to become a full time student. Not only will this make life extremely difficult in Ecuador because 9 credits along with the workshop teaching is already a very busy schedule, and now it will be 12 credits, but I also have to create an individual course contract with a professor, while I'm in SLC and he is in Provo. I have to determine a research topic and by some miracle obtain the books for it as well as approval all by Friday night. This is extremely stressful and annoying. But, I did play the piano today for the first time since I broke my finger and it went rather well. And I did eat a humongous dinner of pricey Italian food. And We did get home by 7:45 tonight which means I can go to bed by 10. And I can do hard things. So this will work out fine. I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment