Monday, September 8, 2008

El Primer Dia de Entrenamiento


Holy Moly. I am finally back at my hotel room after going for 14 hours straight off of 6 hours of sleep. We had training from 8-5 a.m. with a couple of 15 minute breaks and a nice lunch break. On our first break I won a game of knock-out and was the only girl playing. And I have a broken finger. :) Speaking of broken fingers, take a look at our group of interns: [Insert picture here] So, I am returning about an hour later, after trying to upload said picture and discovering that this little laptop is not reading my camera's USB cord. Ya'll know how important pictures are to me and so you understand that this discovery was of disastrous proportions. After trying everything I could think of, and voicing my frustrations to a patient friend, I gave up. And was too frustrated to continue writing, but I have since cooled off a little bit and am back to finish the race.
So the picture I was going to upload is a picture of me, Becky (my companion), and Jason. Me with a splinted broken finger, Jason on crutches with a messed up ankle, and Becky w/ her arm in a sling from a broken elbow. When we all gathered together today we had a good laugh about our group of cripples, 3/8 interns are broken. What a sight we make.
Well anyway, training got out a little after 5 p.m. and then we had an hour van ride in rush hour traffic, during which I got slightly car sick, to Sandy for dinner and FHE at a trainer's house, Brother Gustavo Estrada. He's actually the one who wrote these workshops for the church. We arrived and there was a beautiful long table set up with Fall decor and the food consisted of BBQ'd ribs, corn on the cob, broccoli salad, rolls, watermelon, and zuchinni chocolate cake. I can definitely get used to that treatment. After dinner we had FHE which was really more training which went longer than I expected. Then we drove back during which time I once again got slightly car sick and arrived at the hotel at around 9:30 p.m.
I haven't felt this exhausted in ages. I still have to plan for my lesson tomorrow, we have to teach the first portion of the workshop in Spanish to everyone tomorrow and I still need to translate some things and definitely practice it all. Becky and I were practicing in the van and my Spanish wasn't quite as rusty as I thought it would be, I feel a lot better about the upcoming teaching in Spanish experience in Ecuador, but not so confident about tomorrow. Becky is feeding me to the dogs, she has a doctor's appointment tomorrow morning for her broken elbow and so I will have to teach by myself. Eek. It's past 11 p.m and I will just wake up around 6:30 to go over the materials. If everyday is like this I am going to be a walking zombie by the time I get to Guayaquil. Speaking of which, I am more and more excited to get there with each passing hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment