Sunday, September 7, 2008

The Beginning of the End

Welp, here I am sitting on my full-sized bed in U of U guest housing. It was a hard week leading up to this moment. There were so many last minute shopping trips, phone calls to banks, credit card companies, scholarship offices, internship training, a 170 mile round trip to the hospital near Ogden where I could get my immunization for free on base, a visit to a different hospital to visit my grandmother, an yet another visit to a 3rd hospital to get my broken finger x-rayed again, lots of packing and sorting, applying for graduation, and spending time with friends, trying to say hi and good-bye all at once since everyone has just returned to Provo for a new school year, many of whom have recently returned from missions and I was seeing for the first time in 2 years. All of this combined for a busy week that culminated today into one big stress fest for me full of conflicting feelings.
Now that I have myself and my luggage sitting in my hotel room, with training beginning in the morning, I am feeling much better. It's done, I have left Provo. I am officially on my internship. I am still of course nervous and anxious, and at times question my sanity for leaving the country for the 2nd time this year, this time to live in a 3rd world country teaching workshops that people are depending on to help them change their lives for the better, in a language that I only started learning 18 months ago. A one word description of my feelings: Inadequate. But, I know this is where I'm supposed to be and I am going to try to increase my faith and dependence on the Savior, especially as it relates to Him helping my weaknesses become my strengths.
Now for tying in the title of this post. This really is the beginning of the end, I am in my 4th year at BYU. I will walk the stage and participate in graduation ceremonies in April, only 8 months from now, but will actually take my last 6 credits Spring term, officially ending my undergraduate career at the end of June. I'm very excited, especially to see where this internship and the things I learn on it will take me in life. I will have to begin applying for jobs in the real world, upon my return. This is an intimidating and yet exciting prospect. But, I promised myself I would take one thing at a time, so I will refrain from talking about post-graduation plans anymore. I'm just gonna focus on Ecuador right now and worry about the rest when I get back.
It's 11p.m. and I have to wake up at 6 a.m. so I should probably get going. Time flies, I'm gonna be in Guayaquil Saturday night before I know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment