Friday, July 9, 2010

I Pledge My Allegiance to Craigslist

So, Jackson and I sat down and had a serious conversation about life plans the other night and decided once and for all to move to Austin.  (The week before we had decided once and for all to move to Provo... )  Austin works well with our life and family goals.  So, with no furnishings to our name I spent many hours at work this week perusing craigslist for furniture.  There were many exchanges of e-mails and pictures.  Well, yesterday, I was getting quite tired of searching through the junk (such as ads for "beautiful couch!" that turn out to look 20 years old with sagging cushions), but something pushed me forward.  I went back 6 days worth of hundreds of postings and then landed on a gold mine.  This guy is moving across the country and is selling his entire apartment furnishings! Even better, all the furniture is under a year old! He offered it all for $750.  I promptly texted the guy and set up an appointment for 5 p.m.  Definitely worth leaving work early for.  I called in the forces and got my dad, brother, Jackson, and my aunt to all bring their vehicles and man-power.  I already knew from the pictures that we wanted it all.  

Upon arrival I met the guy selling the stuff, James.  Really cool guy from the Bronx, graphic designer, amazing artist, former Navy, and presently a government employee.  When all was said and done Jackson bargained him down to $650 and check out what was included:  Queen size slay bed, box spring, mattress, 2 nightstands, GORGEOUS cream suede couch, dining room table, 2 chairs, books (he had his library up for grabs too so I took away "Home Improvement for Dummies" and "Guide to Personal Finance" figuring those were worthy investments for married life), 4 ft. dresser, washing machine, recliner, Blue Ray DVD player, decorative vases, 3 lamps, TV stand for 52 inch flat screen, coffee table, 2 end tables, and 3 lamps!!  We also bought his 42 inch flat screen plasma TV separately because it was half off retail price.  Some of this is shown below:




It took hours of taking apart furniture and loading it into the different vehicles, but we succeeded in taking his belongings out right from under him!  We have to return for the washing machine, it was the only thing we didn't manage to cram in.  The evening was filled with joyous smiles and twirley hugs as Jackson and I gloried in our abundant blessings and felt like we were living in a fairytale as we furnished an entire apartment for about 1/8 of what the stuff was worth.  

One thing I love about Jackson is how ready he is to make new friends and get to know strangers.  By the end of the night he had invited James over for dinner on Sat. night, volunteering my cooking skills.  James accepted the invitation and we plan on a wonderful little party on Saturday night, as a gesture of our gratitude for him providing a huge blessing in our lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment