Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Thoughts on the Election


Alright, I know many people may be kind of tired of all the political talk and speculation but I have a few thoughts to share. Some thoughts that many people probably have not considered. So, Obama won. Typically I believe I tend to favor the Republican side of things, but I am definitely willing to lend a listening ear to the Democrats. I don't think it's necessarily good that Obama won, but I also am not very informed and therefore hesitate to form an opinion because I don't believe in forming them in ignorance. But, regardless of your political orientation here's the fact of the matter: Obama is Democrat, and now the majority lies with the Democrats in both the House and the Senate. I don't know much about politics (something I would like to change in the coming years) but I know enough to realize that this means maybe things will actually change a bit. Maybe bills will get passed. And maybe the government is going to be a bit liberal for my liking over the next 4 years. But you know what? That's okay. I'd like to remind everyone of something: The United States of America is great. It's awesome. It's relatively stable. Our little jumps in the DOW and our gay marriage debates are absolutely nothing compared to the rest of the world. You know what, no matter who won the race it was going to be a controversial outcome and a very unsure future as far as policies go. And maybe Obama isn't going to be everyone's favorite President. But he's not going to re-write the Constitution of our country. And the U.S. military isn't going to come in and overthrow him, only to take power themselves. And this my friends, is more than Ecuador can say. This is more than the majority of countries of this world can say. I love our country more and more each day that I am away from it. We are a blessed people and millions of the world's population envy us. Can you imagine if the U.S. military came in one day and took over the white house?? That just doesn't happen in our country. But it does in others. We are in troubled times, the war in the middle east stinks, the economy could be better, and I wish gay marriage was illegal in every state, but let's not blame the world's problems on one man. Let's give our President a break, whoever he may be. Sure Bush could have done things differently but I also think he got thrown a lot of crap that he just had to work with and try to make it less crappy. Obama is going to be dealing with the same stuff. And one man can not solve the world's problems. But you know what? We still have a dependable Democratic Government and a Constitution inspired of God. What a blessing! So, let's be grateful and happy, shall we?

1 comment: