Tuesday, April 20, 2010

A Societal Blunder

I have never considered myself to be a feminist.  I have a very traditional view of the way things should be, I fully intend on being a stay at home mother with a masters degree.  I value womanhood and also value a man's role to lead and provide.  However, I had a very strange experience this past weekend that causes me to ponder whether I have a bit of a feminist in me, or whether I have a bit of a pride issue in this regard, or whether niether is true and I am justified in my annoyance. Let me explain:

Saturday afternoon Jackson and I arrive at the Sears Automotive department to pick up my car.  As we walked towards the garage area I was mentally preparing myself to shell out $534 for the routine maintenance that had been done on my car.  We approach, holding hands.  The employee says, "How can I help you sir?" I step forward and say, "Actually, I'm here to pick up my car.  The Chevy Cavalier".  And he goes on his merry way, trying to help 3 different customers at the same time and Jackson and I stand and wait.  I was annoyed inside.  Here I was, coming to give them half a grand of MY money, and they didn't even acknowledge me as the customer.  They immediately addressed the man.  It wasn't his car or his money and I am perfectly capable of getting my car fixed on my own, I have taken care of such matters on my own since I bought it 6 years ago.   I pondered my feelings and paid the man who had committed the blunder.

Fast forward 1 hour:

Jackson and I walk into the optometry section of Wal-Mart, holding hands.  The Wal-Mart employee says, "How can I help you sir?" Once again I step forward and say, "Actually, I'm here to pick up my contacts.  I ordered them 10 days ago and they should have been here by now".  The man finds my contacts, apologizes that I was not notified, and I pay and politely go on my way. 

30 minutes later:

Jackson and I are at the check out register.  Not holding hands.  I pay for my purchases.  The lady hands my receipt to Jackson.  I take it from him. 

We walk out of Wal-Mart and I re-play the past 3 incidents to Jackson and ask his thoughts on the matter.  Originally, I was approaching the topic from a purely sociological perspective.  I was curious as to why those incidences had just happened.  It seemed so contrary to this day and age.  I mean if I had been the employee and saw a young couple walking towards me I would say something like, "How can I help ya'll?" or, "How can I help you folks?"  but I would definitely not assume that the man was my primary customer.  As Jackson and I discussed the matter and Jackson thought I was being slightly silly, I became more and more bothered and my purely sociological study progressed to real annoyance. 

So I pose the question to the blog-reading community:  Am I being silly and getting slightly worked up about nothing?  Or am I justified in my annoyance at a modern-day social transgression?

2 comments:

  1. I asked Tim and he said he would not have addressed one specific person. So, perhaps you just live in a male-dominated Texas society that's behind the equality movement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, true or not, I resent that comment.

    ReplyDelete