Friday, February 19, 2010

The Vacation Gods Love Me

Here's why:

1) Becky bought her ticket a bit after I did.  Since she's flying out of SLC, it worked better for her to get to Cancun a day after the San Antonio group, and leave a day later as well.  I was a bit bummed, and wished there was a way to stay the extra day to have more time to visit with her since we live 1,500 miles apart and all.  Well, the other day I received an e-mail saying my flight had been changed.  After speaking with a very helpful Indian customer service guy, he informed me that my connection in Mexico City on my return flight had been moved up and I would need to be on the flight from Cancun to Mexico City at 11:20 AM instead of the original 1:45 PM.  He asked me if this was okay with me.  I very politely told him that I actually was not very happy about it, that I had scheduled my flight in the afternoon for a reason, because I wanted to be able to spend the morning in Cancun, and that I was not pleased at my vacation being cut 2 1/2 hours short.  (Hey, I really wasn't pleased.  And I saw an opportunity to get a better deal out of the situation). As he attempted to think of a solution that would make me happy, I asked him if there was any way I could just leave a day later, so as to not cut my vacation short.  He spoke with the airline, and promptly returned my call.  "Yes ma'am, that is not a problem at all".  Now I get to crash in Becky's already reserved 4 star resort and we have an extra day to spend at the beach.  Thank-you vacation gods. 

2) I have only been working at my current position for about 3 1/2 months.  Therefore, I have only accrued about 3 days of paid time off  (this of course played a large role in my decision to schedule my vacation so that I would only miss 3 days of work).  I get paid while on vacation and at that time my PTO will be up to a little over 32 hours, or 4 work days... exactly what I need to cover my extra day at the beach with Becky.  Thank-you vacation gods. 

3)  I have been fretting about the ever increasing costs of checking luggage.  I was originally planning on just taking a carry-on sized suitcase and a backpack.  It's only 5 days at the beach, no need to haul my entire closet to Mexico.  But then I began to think of the complications.  I need to bring sunscreen, aloe (because we are sure to get burnt), bug repellant, and 4 days at the beach makes a razor absolutely necessary.  I could go out and buy lots of empty 2 oz. bottles and carefully funnel my liquids and gels, but there wasn't much I could do about bug repellant or a razor.  And I certainly didn't want to spend my vacation time scouring Mexican grocery stores for silly toiletry items.  As I resolved myself to the fact that we would all just have to split the cost of checking one bag and throw all of our deadly-airplane explosive-sunscreen bottles into one bag, I logged on to Mexican airlines to see how much they were going to charge.  Upon investigation I discovered that economy class passengers are allowed one FREE checked bag.  What?  Really?  What is this, the stone age? Moral of the story: Mexican airlines can have my business anytime they want. AND... the vacation gods STILL love me.

No comments:

Post a Comment