Monday, February 8, 2010

Taking the Opportunity

1) I am taking the opportunity to utilize my blog. I'm going to take ya'll somewhere, and maybe I'll make next year's 2010 S&M awards. In that same spirit, I believe my blog design needs an overhaul and I don't know the first thing about creating cool blog designs. Any websites ya'll would recommend?

2) I have accepted the opportunity to be the Institute Council President for the San Antonio metro area. This is a regional calling and is a pretty huge deal apparently. Last year we ended enrollment with 480 institute students. With a new semester, we had to start all over. Last I checked we were up to 300, with a goal to get to 600 by the end of the semester. It's an intense calling that is actually a huge blessing. I had a rather large desire to serve a mission but finally got a firm "no" for an answer and was able to let it go and move forward. Soon after I got my "no", I received this calling which allows me to be a missionary constantly. We're making cold calls, I'm visiting different wards and meeting with leaders and getting referrals, my council and I put forth large efforts in fellowshipping and meeting new people each week... besides the fun missionary opportunity, I also get to direct the planning of large activities and have been honored with people referring to me as "President" in place of my first name. It's been rather fun and I look forward to continuing to spread the gospel among young single adults in the area!

3) I was just informed that a case manager position has opened up at work. As I have worked with these kids from the poorest area in the city, I have become extremely frustrated at times. We provide a great program here at Good Samaritan Community Services and it is a really great opportunity for these kids to get an education, get work experience, and receive much needed guidance that for the most part is absent in their homes. Well anyway, I get frustrated as I meet with kids who tell me they can't work because they would lose their Social Security benefits, or kids who take 4 years to get their GED, among lots of other annoying habits. I have developed a desire to have a greater role in their lives and have the opportunity to teach them rather than just provide basic employment support during their internships. For this reason, I have applied for the position and we'll see what happens. If I get the case manager position, I'll be able to have a greater positive influence in these kids' lives, AND get a $2 raise.

4) I took advantage of the opportunity to fly to Cancun for $261. I had been considering it for weeks and when my boyfriend of 2 months broke up with me, it was the last thing I needed to convince myself to take a vacation. I bought my ticket with the hopes that others would want to come to. It was meant to be, now I have 4 friends coming with me! The next 2 weeks can't go by fast enough! I'll be in Mexico February 25 - March1.

3 comments:

  1. thank you for the update! I love knowing about your life. congrats on the calling. Please update again with pictures from your trip in Mexico!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the case manager position. Somedays I wish I could drop the case manager part, but it is great to work so closely with people. I'm sure you'd be great at it so I'll cross my fingers for you! Oh, and have fun in Cancun! so jealous...

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the shout-out to my blog. it has been duly noted in our score book. great post, btw.

    ReplyDelete